Can't get libpng, essential to Inkscape compile.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Sep 15 21:38:07 UTC 2009

I installed ubuntu (actually xubuntu but that has no bearing) just
to get the latest development version of Inkscape. I downloaded
the source tarball, unpacked it and then went through the usual
apt-get this apt-get that to get the package to configure.

The show stopper after all this was  libpng, a pretty common lib.
Therefore I did
apt-get install libpng
 but ubuntu didn't recognize it. Then I copied over all the libpng
files I could find on another partition to identical locations,  and
ran ldconfig. Now here is the current showstopper on ./configure:

png_read_info is missing.

At this point I'll do anything required, including wiping out
Xubuntu and installing something else.

Anybody here know how to play this game? I sure don't.

--
John Culleton