File System on external hard drive

Mriswithe mriswithe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:37:15 UTC 2009

> > Which filesystem is the most desirable and recommended. There seems to be
> > luxury of plenty. EXT3, EXT4, ZFS etc ?
> >
> > Can someone give academically honest answer ?
>
> There was a thorough discussion of this topic on ./  the other day
> (http://slashdot.org).  Many, many different opinions, but also some
> useful setups, depending on what you need to use the external for.
>
> Chros

So on this same topic since it seems I am at a good time to make a change
and this seems to be pretty civil so far. I am using a harddrive for NAS on
my home network and it is where rtorrent puts its downloads. It is currently
formatted as ext3, I usually end up with files all over the place as far as
size. Music, anime (200-300mb), movies (700mb) and but rarely something too
much bigger.

So my question is this, is ext3 the best thing, or at least are there any
major problems I will run into with this ? Some Input would be greatly
appreciated.

Andrew