Wireless does not see Internet [was: PSK recovery?]

Mark C. Miller mr.mcmiller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:08:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:37:02 +1000, James Takac wrote:

> Hi Fred

>> > Know what ya mean. And I forgot to mention somewhere between beginner
>> > and intermediate re wireless
>> >
>> > James
>>
>> do you know the ip addy of "mygateway1.ar7?
>
> No idea what's it's ip is. All my working systems show that line. I
> woulda thought it to be my router at 10.1.1.1 ?
>
>> From the non working system
>> can you successfully ping 10.1.1.3 from the working system?
>>

>> On the system that is *not* working, open a terminal and run the
>> command
>>
>>     |sudo route add default gw mygateway1.ar7
>> |
>> |if it doesn't error with "unknown" host, then try:
>>
>>     ping www.google.com
>>

> It did error unfortunately so I thought I'd retry the command
> substituting 10.1.1.1 for the gateway. Now I can ping my others systems
> from it but I can't ping it from them it seems. So that seems to be some
> headway at least. Still can't access the net though
>
>> you may have to restart the wireless connection.
>>
>>     Left click network manager (the icon in the panel, upper right) and
>> click on your network should restart.  Type route "to be sure the
>> change from above is still there."
>>
>> What appears to be is that the new system is not getting the same
>> gateway as the working system.  Though I do not know the ip address of
>> the working system both seem to be on the 10.*.*.* network and /should/
>> see each other.
>
> Yes, the addy's on my network ar all 10.1.1.*
>
>> If the two systems can "ping" each other as is, then your network is
>> fine and the new system is connecting as it should.
>
> Can only ping one way and only on the network now, i.e. from the non
> browsing pc to the others. Can't ping the other way. I've rechecked with
> ifconfig and my router and the pc's ip has changed to 10.1.1.2
>> The
>> fault would then lie in the routing of the gateway.  Try the above and
>> let me know.  We will get you fixed.  Sorry for the delay in response.
>>
>> --
>> Fred
>> www.fwrgallery.com
>>
>> "Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing
>> something wrong."
>
> No worries re the delay. I have plenty of patience. I did send a reply
> earlier but not sure if it went thru. One of the drawbacks with gmail is
> I don't see my own posts if sent via smtp
>
> James

Might it be in your router?  I am completely dumb with this networking
stuff, but I'm told many routers (I use a netgear) are set with incoming
ping disable.  I know I can ping "out" to places like google and comcast,
but I can't ping my router.

Then again, maybe you just should disregard the previous paragraph.

mcm

--
Mark C. Miller