File System on external hard drive

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Mon Sep 14 19:01:04 UTC 2009

MirJafar Ali wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I ask some important but likely to be controversial question ? I
> have one external hard drive which I will be
> using for Ubuntu ( mostly ) but sometimes for windows.
>
> Which filesystem is the most desirable and recommended. There seems to
> be luxury of plenty. EXT3, EXT4, ZFS etc ?
>
> Can someone give academically honest answer ?

Hi,

If you're wanting to mix and match operating systems (Windows and Linux)
accesses to the external file system, you're going to be stuck with
FAT32 or NTFS (both of which can be read easily by Ubuntu and Windows).

Sadly, Windows won't recognize EXT2/3/4, ZFS, ReiserFS or others.

If you're dual booting, keep what is needed by both platforms on the
Windows side of the house.  That partition can be mounted by Ubuntu
as-needed.

As with everything GNU/Linux, there are any number of ways to accomplish
any task.  A bit more of what you're trying to accomplish will get
better, more specific answers.

Best regards,
-Ray