Wireless connection on HP DV9000 laptop

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:36:53 UTC 2009

Colin Law wrote:
> 2009/9/14 MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:05 AM, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snipp]
>>> Â  Â  Â  Â Your laptop sounds like it is like mine. The little light will stay
>>> orange but your wifi will work. Figure out how to remove the battery
>>> from your laptop. Remove the battery and plugin the charger and turn on
>>> the windows. When the little light turns blue, meaning the wifi is
>>> working, un-plug the charger from the laptop.
>>>
>>> Â  Â  Â  Â Now put the battery back in and boot up in Ubuntu and your wifi
>>> should
>>> start working.
>>>

>>> 73 Karl
>> Hello Karl,
>>
>> Thanks for throwing light on the mysterious way to solve the problem. I
>> couldn't have never guessed that Wifi non-functionality is something to do
>> with batteries.
>>

> I believe the point of Karl's suggestion is to allow windows to enable
> the wifi interface in the laptop, then to kill windows by powering
> down without going through a normal shutdown, when windows may disable
> it again.  Correct me if I am wrong Karl.
>
> Apparently this has worked for some, including Karl. Others have
> suggested hibernating windows.  Of course any time you kill windows
> without a normal shutdowndown there is the risk of disk corruption.
> Also if you use windows you will have to repeat the exercise.
>
> It may be worth trying in order to determine whether this is the
> underlying cause of your problem.
>
> Colin

	You are right. What happens is there is software added to the windows
that turns on the wifi hardware as it boots up. When windows is fully up
the wifi is turned on.

	My technique is to turn off windows in a way that keeps the wifi
hardware turned on. Then you turn on Linux and it can use the wifi hardware.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User