Remote execution of a program

Hagai Hadad kopolov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 11:27:04 UTC 2009

Keith,
I used to have the same problem my self.
I have an Ubuntu desktop at work and an Ubuntu laptop which I use to connect
to the desktop.
All my actual work is done on the desktop wih full GUI.

The solutio I use is NX (I use "NO Machine" NX but there is also an open
solution called "freeNX" or Google just came with their solution called
"NeatX")
Here is what I use:
1. I installed "NX server" on the desktop (it is made from 3 deb packages -
NX client, NX proxy, NX server - which should be installed in that order).
2. I installed "NX client" on the laptop (only the "NX client" deb package).
3. I connect the NX client to the NX server - this opens up a full GUI
(Desktop) session on my laptop.
4. I run whatever I need to run.
5. If I wish to leave the GUI, but not to terminate the running processes, I
have an option to "disconnect" instead of "terminate" (which is the second
closing option) - meaning, when I press the close button (the "X" in the
upper right corner), I get a message with 3 options "Disconnect",
"Terminate", "Cancel".
Just choose "disconnect".
6. The next time I reconnect to the NX server (desktop) from the NX client
(laptop), it automatically opens up the still active session. (I haven't
closed my eclipse for about 5 weeks).
Few more notes:
** NX is a protocol which is much faster then ssh. It is built upon ssh
technology (so it is secure), but it was mainly designed to allow remote GUI
on low bandwidth.
** It might be a little more then what u were looking for (u might not need
full Desktop), but I find it convenient.
** NX can be downloed (client, proxy, server) from the "NO Machine" site.
The deb package for Debian/Ubuntu are free (of course) to download/use.

hope this helps (I'm using it for the past 1.5 year and it works great from
home as well).

Hagai

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Keith Clark <keithclark at k-wbookworm.com>wrote:

> How can I log into another computer via ssh, start a gui application,
> then log out and leave it running on the remote computer.  Is this even
> possible?
>
> Keith

Hagai Hadad