Virtal Machine preferences?

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Sun Sep 13 03:40:57 UTC 2009

p.echols at comcast.net wrote:
> ----- "Fred Roller" <froller at tnclimited.com> wrote:
>

>> I used to use vmware and use vbox ose now.  mainly because it is part
>> of
>> the repos.  the only usb device i use in storage so any short comings
>>
>> are overcome by putting the vmach on the host network and sharing the
>>
>> mount.
>>
>> --
>>

> Thanks Fred.  I by vbox ose, that's the same as virtualbox-ose (I've learned to never assume since names could be similar)
>
> But what do you mean by the last bit?
>
> Thanks

Yes, vbox=virtual box.  Apologies for the short hand, 9 month old
daughter has a fever and was asleep in daddies other arm. :)

As for the second bit.  No matter which virtual software you use, they
all "seem" to have trouble detecting usb devices out of the box.  There
are work arounds and such but my needs are simple, I just usually only
need access to usb storage devices.  I have built a permanent share on
my desktop.  If I need files off a thumb drive I just "ln -s /media/disk
~/desktop/share/".  Since my virtual XP machine is on the same network
the "share" is a mapped drive and hence the data is instantly accessible.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple.  If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."