Virtal Machine preferences?

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Sun Sep 13 03:06:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 00:10 +0000, p.echols at comcast.net wrote:
[snip]
> The first question: there some reason to use one over the other?  Features or ease of use?

I dont know about feature compares to VMware, but I make plenty of use
of my VirtualBox OSE install doing test installs of various OSes, among
other things.  If you care about such things, Virtualbox OSE is open
source, whereas I believe that VMware is not. also, Virtualbox is in the
Repos (as somebody else already said) so it gets auto-updated, and the
kernel module needed to run it gets automatically rebuilt when theres
any kernel upgrades (whereas with VMware, if it has a similar setup, you
would probably have to recompile the kernel module on each kernel
update)

> The second question: when I am not using Windows (which will only be rarely) I assume I can shut down the VM and recover the memory / cpu resources for Ubuntu.  Are there complications with doing that?

Yes. All resources that are in use by the VM are freed upon closing or
'shutting down' of the VM.

Hope that helps :)

--
Andrew