wireless on 9.04

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 12 07:35:14 UTC 2009

hi,
Am Freitag, den 11.09.2009, 22:08 -0400 schrieb Jay Daniels:

> I was mistaken, it's not a key it's an encrypted password, but the wifi
> passphrase _is_ stored by seahorse in hardy - at least when using nm
> applet.
right, as i explained to karl before, gnome-keyring acts like a wallet
holding *all* passwords, passphrases, wifi keys etc for your user ...

to *open* that wallet (and make gnome-keyring supply the stored password
for a service automatically, so you dont have to remember each and every
passphrase for services you use) you need exactly that encrypted
password.

this has the advantage that you either need to remember only one
additional password to your login data (if you, like karl, choose one
that differs from your login password) or no password at all because you
a) left the encrypted password empty or b) chose to use an identical one
to your login password.

gnome-keyring is just a convenience so you dont need to remember all the
single passwords for each WLAN, GPG, ssh connection etc separately.

ciao
	oli