Samsung Q1 Support Query.

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 12 01:22:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 20:46 +1200, Ryan McCree wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is There any chance that future revisions of Ubuntu could support the
> Samsung Q1 and Q1 Ultra line of Hardware.
>
> It appears possible however it's over my head lol.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20071128155704/http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Samsung_UMPC_Q1-Ultra

This would probably be better placed as a wishlist bug on launchpad,
rather than on the user support forums.

Even so, Have you looked into Ubuntu NBE (netbook remix)? It's a version
of Ubuntu specially optimized for small format touchscreen devices (i.e.
UMPCs/netbooks). From the hardware specs it looks like it should run
Ubuntu nicely. Plus from this note on the Gentoo hardware page you
linked:
    The good news is all of the hardware works very well in gentoo, with a
bit of tweaking, ofcourse.

It seems that the hardware runs linux just fine, so this also indicates
to me that Ubuntu would work just fine.

Just out of curiosity, Have you actually tried it, and it failed? Did
you read some where that this hardware isn't supported under Ubuntu, or
doesn't work well? Where did you get the impression that Ubuntu wouldn't
run on the Samsung Q1?

hope that's helpful :)

--
Andrew