wireless on 9.04

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 00:28:37 UTC 2009

Jay Daniels wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 16:45 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

>>> Hmm, my Hardy, under System>Preferences, has a package titled,
>>> "Encryption and keyrings."
>>>
>>> I guess that  isn't about keyrings, right?  Probably not about
>>> encryption, either.
>>>
>>> Sheesh, Karl.  It seems that what you KNOW is fact isn't any such thing
>>> at all.
>>>
>>> I still fail to see what it is that you deem to be a problem.
>>>
>>> Cybe R. Wizard
>> 	Just for fun I rebooted into hardy and your exactly right. I had a hard
>> long look and it is for sure tied in with PGP. I didn't see how it might
>> tie into NM. I will, for fun look at Jaunty and see if it is different.
>>

> I believe that if you use wifi, it will save your password or key in
> your keyring.  In other words an encyrpted version of your wifi password
> or phrase.  This has nothing to do with your gnupg or pgp _email_ key
> that you use for signing messages.

	You are dead wrong! What happens is the first time you get wifi working
you connect to the Internet. But then a panel with keyring in the title
comes up and asks for a password twice so it can be sure. You give it
one and it goes away and wifi is working fine.

	Next time you reboot you come up and the keyring panel comes up and
asks for your password. If you give the proper password then wifi comes
up and your fine. It works this way forever.

	It appears that the Network Manager keyring is stored in
/home/name/.gmome.keyring and this is what is called when NM is involved.

	A better solution was the old one on Hardy, where you put the password
for your router in NM and it then worked. Reboot and it comes up
automatic. It works this way forever.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User