Installing new ubuntu, keeping /home partition

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 18:49:20 UTC 2009

2009/9/10 Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com>:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:25:17 +0100
> Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> I'd say you are fully ready.  Go for it!  Let us know how
> it turns out, if you please.

I am glad to say that it all went smoothly and I am now able to boot
into 8.10, 9.04 or XP (Only when necessary I have a couple of usb
devices that do not seem to have linux drivers).  Many thanks to all
who made helpful suggestions.

There was one slight moment of confusion.  The screen at the start of
the install when it asks basically what you want to do said that I had
XP and Ubuntu installed and gave me a number of options, the first of
which was 'install side by side' which is of course what I wanted to
do.  It was not at all clear that the partition bar at the bottom was
indicating where the new install was going to go.  When I selected
this option it said that it had to make previously selected changes to
the partitions, without telling me actually what it was about to do.
As I was not aware that I had previously made any changes this was a
bit confusing.  After going back to the previous page I realised what
was happening and selected the DIY route and all went smoothly.  I
think the wording on the startup page could do with improving, and
when the side by side option is selected it would be useful to display
the changes that are about to be made.

I do have an issue with the gnome panels but I will start a new thread for that.

A question.  If I update the kernel in my 8.10 install will this get
added into the grub menu ok?

Colin