Is this update a retrograde step?

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 11 07:32:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 07:45 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Not so long back, I installed Firefox 3.5 from the Firefox website.
> I've been fairly happy with it.  Now the update manager wants me to
> install the latest version of Firefox 3.0.  If I do, purely to stop the
> update reminders, will it trash my 3.5 installation?  If not, is there
> any way I can stop the update message ?

you could uninstall 3.0... or you could install the ubuntu version of
FF3.5 from it's testing Launchpad repo (though I dont think that'd be
any different from getting it from the FF website...except maybe less
stable since the launchpad repo is of nightly builds)

either that or you can put a hold on your 3.0 firefox install so apt
wont bother you about it any more. I believe to do that you would do
this:

        To put a package to hold:
        echo "package_name hold"|dpkg --set-selections

        to 'unhold' it:
        echo "package_name install"|dpkg --set-selecions

Taken from here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=240

Hope that helps :)

--
Andrew