Do I need a new hd?

Mriswithe mriswithe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:03:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Brittany <linuxwolfz at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been recieving these errors for a while and prior of these errors my
> computer would operate rather slowly ( it should open up folders/ files
> rather quicky when it's operating smoothly) and sometimes the files that I
> know are there tells me that I cannot open them and notice how different the
> icons look. When I shut down the computer it will give me the option to shut
> down with a red x, which then I know theirs something wrong. The iPhone
> camera shot provided was taken after I've attempted to shut down my
> computer. Am i needing a new hard drive?

Actually how is that hard drive formatted NTFS or EXT3?  I ran into very
similar errors earlier today and I believe at this time that the reason is
because it is formatted NTFS and has become RIDICULOUSLY fragmented. (stole
it out of a windows box and never bothered to repartition, I am paying for
it now) The reason I believe this is because linux obviously doesn't
deframent anything because it doesn't have to with EXT. Now from the photo
it looks like it is your primary drive (SDA) so I highly doubt that is the
issue, but I thought I would toss it out as an option.

Oh and as far as the hard drive I am currently defraging, the file that came
in as most fragmented was a 335mb file that was in 2,269 pieces. I believe I
am taking the right step in defraging it right now with a windows box.

Andrew