Postfix mailbox location

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Sep 10 17:42:20 UTC 2009

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:

>> Sure, but why not just accept the defaults?  It's so much easier all
>> around. Postfix will put it where it wants, and dovecot will magically
>> find it.
>>

> More fun finding out how things work! Unless you need your email working
> now. :-D

Well, yes...  That's how I found out that using the defaults "just worked".
I'd been messing with them for so long, and never been happy, so I just
deleted my dovecot config and started over - and discovered that it actually
looked in two or three locations that enabled it to find mail delivered by
most default MTA setups.  I'll maintain, in my defense, that it didn't do
that when I _first_ started messing with it!
--
derek