Do I need a new hd?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Sep 10 13:08:17 UTC 2009

Victor Padro wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Brittany <linuxwolfz at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been recieving these errors for a while and prior of these errors my
>> computer would operate rather slowly ( it should open up folders/ files
>> rather quicky when it's operating smoothly) and sometimes the files that I
>> know are there tells me that I cannot open them and notice how different the
>> icons look. When I shut down the computer it will give me the option to shut
>> down with a red x, which then I know theirs something wrong. The iPhone
>> camera shot provided was taken after I've attempted to shut down my
>> computer. Am i needing a new hard drive?
>>

>> Brittany Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> --
>>

> Start in safe mode and run fsck...
> if that fails maybe you'll need a new harddrive(not necessarily)

If there is data to be recovered, this is a very bad idea.  First step
is to try to copy off any files, second is simple hard drive diagnostics
by a technician, and if the hard drive is reporting failures, then copy
the drive image (as much as able) then fsck the copy to hopefully
recover more.  Low level tools that try to modify data (like fsck)
should never be run on unreliable hardware prior to data recovery.