wireless on 9.04

Matthew A Coulliette matthewubuntu at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 23:19:25 UTC 2009

Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 13:53 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> Shannon McMackin wrote:
> [snip]
>>> I have used every version of Ubuntu since Breezy Badger.
>>>
>>> I jumped into Jaunty when it was Alpha 4, Karmic when it was Alpha 2.
>>> Before that i always waited for RC images before jumping in.  I always
>>> do a fresh install so that no flakiness is left behind.  I have /home on
>>> a separate partition, so moving data is easy.
>>>

>>     OK I jumped into Jaunty at Beta. No problems after switching to the
>> replacement for NM. I did write a bug to Jaunty about the gmail.key and
>> other encombering matter that made NM not work well.
>>
>>     I was asked last week by Pedro to d/l Karmic alfa 3 and see if it has
>> the same problem as 9.04 has. I did that and Karmic has exactly the same
>> problem!
>>
>>     Read back a few emails and see how many other people have this problem
>> and what they did to correct for it.
>>
>>     Finally I think your a liar. There is no way you could miss this
>> problem IF your using wireless.
>
> Thats not very kind of you.
>
> I've been using wireless with both my laptops, and my Desktop. My setups
> are thus:
>       * 1 laptop fresh Ubuntu 9.04 install(official release, not
>         alpha/beta/RC)
>       * 1 laptop upgraded to 9.04, started as 8.04
>       * desktop upgraded to 9.04, started as 6.10
>
> I've never has any issues with Network Manager, or the default keyring,
> on any of my systems. I do remember setting up the keyring manager on my
> older laptop (when setting up 8.04), and on my desktop when I first
> installed, but I didn't have to do anything with the default keyring on
> my new laptop. In fact, I had completely forgotten about it's existence
> until reading this thread.
>
> Obviously, I still use NM, and I love it. I haven't tried wicd, so I've
> got nothing to say on it's usability in comparison to NM, but I do like
> NM's ability to store network profiles, which from what I've collected
> from this thread, it seems that wicd can't handle.
>
> if I had to complain about anything with NM, it would be that there's no
> way to force a refresh/recheck for wireless networks that I've found...
>
> as for the default keyring... i thought it managed all the package
> authorizations for apt? thats what I assume anyway, since all the keys
> I've got/added in my apt/3rd party repos have also been added to my
> keyring.
>
> that's all i've got...

Hi Andrew,

IMHO: The main difference between NM and wicd is the keyring. If you
like using a keyring then use Network Manager, if not, then use wicd. My
personal preference is to use wicd, since I prefer to enter the
passwords myself. The two programs are built differently and there is
not one right answer for everyone. I believe that the user should be
allowed to decide which way they prefer.

MatthewMPP