top and bottom posting

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 23:17:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 19:00 -0400, Jay Daniels wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 23:37 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Because most people find it more natural to rad the question
> > followed
> > by the answer, not the other way around....
> >
> > > Under proper quoting #3, it doesn't really give a reason or
> > explain
> > > why.
> >

> But in email, 99% of people tend to top post.

if 99% of people decided right now, today, to go outside in their
driveways and blow their own brains out, would you agree that the other
1% should do so as well?

Extreme example, yes, but a justification of 'but everybody else does it
this way' isn't a valid reason...especially on a linux users mailing
list, where the the rest of the world does it 'the windows way', and
we're the 1%

> Now if you are reading this in a threaded news reader the questions are
> threaded right above the response.  Besides, the etiquette also states
> to not quote the whole post which people do anyway, mostly because of
> broken clients like thunderbird or they are too lazy to delete the
> unnecessary parts.

As you will note, I did not trim this email that I'm replying to...
because I deemed it necessary to keep all the text of the message I'm
replying to intact. This is not because I am lazy, or using Thunderbird
(Thunderbird is NOT broken, it just works differently...Still I use
Evolution) Most of the time though, I do trim my emails.

> Whole post replying to list are what makes bottom posting so annoying to
> read.

simple solution: ctrl+end :)

Either way...the problem then, is not bottom-posting, and the solution
is not top-posting. The problem is people not trimming their emails, and
the solution is getting them to trim their emails.

Thanks for letting me poke holes in your arguments :)

--
Andrew