wireless on 9.04

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 20:44:11 UTC 2009

Jay Daniels wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 18:07 +0530, Raseel Bhagat wrote:
>> Having the gnome-keyring manager is bad enough, but for someone who
>> has to
>> do connect to various Wifi networks throughout the day (sometimes for
>> testing), the NM is not a great tool.
>> Wicd is definitely better.
>>
>> However, Wicd does not have support for configuring VPN et al., so I'm
>> stuck
>> with NM
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raseel.
>

> I have seen so many post on here with wicd broke my networking and they
> have to reload or re-install network manager that I would not recommend
> anyone use wicd unless they just cannot connect via wifi for some odd
> reason.  Otherwise, stay clear of this program until it becomes more
> stable.

	The biggest problem with wicd is it is different than nm. It looks and
works different.

	I had zero problems with wireless until I upgraded to 9.04 and then the
only thing that was a complete success was wicd. I have been using it
every day since I got 9.04 Beta and had zero problems!

> There may be a reason why wicd is not the default network manager in
> Ubuntu's Gnome, and I think the above is a very good reason.  No way to
> edit ssid name from the wicd interface  is another drawback.  Mistype
> the ssid and you may never connect and it won't let you change it! This
> wicd program is no way no how ready for primetime and I believe in it's
> current state it should be removed from the repositories until these
> problems are solved.

	Your just mad because you didn't learn how to change a ssid. I can
change anything! But in general you never need to. But when I have to
take my wife to the Cancer center I change the wicd to use the available
wireless in the waiting room. Then back when we get home.

> jay

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI