wireless on 9.04

Shannon McMackin smcmackin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:17:25 UTC 2009

On 09/09/2009 01:46 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Shannon McMackin wrote:
>> On 09/09/2009 08:00 AM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>>> 	I and others wrote a bug for 9.04 because we could not get wireless
>>> working after we got a lot of updates. It appears to me now working with
>>> 9.10 alfa 3 that the Key-chain is the thing that causes confusion when
>>> setting up wireless.
>>>
>>> 	Here is what happened with 9.10. It came up with no Internet after
>>> installing on the hard drive. Everything else was fine. I right clicked
>>> the two monitor in the upper right edge of the screen, and a panel came
>>> down showing the 3 wireless signals I receive now at home. I selected my
>>> own and a new panel came up asking for my router password. I gave it and
>>> expected the network manager to start getting the Internet but no.
>>>
>>> 	Another panel came up asking for me to put in a password for a
>>> key-ring! I put in a simple password, and THEN the Internet started working.
>>>
>>> 	After a re-boot again the 9.10 comes up without Internet working. This
>>> time you right click the monitors and the key-chain panel wants you to
>>> give it a password and when you do, it works.
>>>
>>> 	Now on 9.04 I went through all this and then tried "wicd" and never
>>> looked back. This replacement for network manager after a reboot has
>>> Internet ready before the rest of the system is started!
>>>
>>> 	My question to the group is this: Is anyone using wireless Internet
>>> still using network manager on 9.04? If so are you using the key-ring
>>> password like I did?
>>>
>>> Thanks Karl
>>>

>> I have never had the problems you describe with key-ring.  Default
>> installs every time.  Since before I can remember and this is maybe back
>> to Edgy, I install and select my wireless AP and enter the information
>> and connect.  Never prompted for a keyring password.
>>
>> Current NM is awesome for me, switching APs and with some WPAsupplicant
>> patches, it's flawless on my corporate LEAP network.
>>

> 	Have you ever used 9.04? Edgy had no problems you see. This problem
> never came up until version 9.04 and your email makes me think you have
> never used 9.04 so you have no background to talk from.

I have used every version of Ubuntu since Breezy Badger.

I jumped into Jaunty when it was Alpha 4, Karmic when it was Alpha 2.
Before that i always waited for RC images before jumping in.  I always
do a fresh install so that no flakiness is left behind.  I have /home on
a separate partition, so moving data is easy.