Setting keyboard back to defaults (gnome)

Paul Tader ptader at linuxscope.com
Wed Sep 9 14:20:02 UTC 2009

I can't seem to set the Alt/Win key mapping behavior back to its
defaults in Gnome.  No matter if I choose the "Default" radio button
and/or "Reset to Defaults" (see image), the setting persist - remapping
my Crl key to Alt. I suspect it's a system-wide configuration setting
because it effects multiple users, even newly created users.

Where are the system-wide keyboard settings configurations are saved?
I've been looking through the /etc directory to no avail.

Ubuntu 9.04

(Screenshot)
http://www.linuxscope.com/~ptader/images/keyboard_layout.png