What's this landscape stuff about?

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Wed Sep 9 01:58:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 20:32 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Siggy Brentrup<ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > it has only been some minutes ago that I first logged in remotely to
> > my Ubuntu laptop and to my surprise found sort of commercial
> > advertising from Canonical for Landscape in my /etc/motd (cf
> > attachment).  I can't tell how this got in, most probably on some
> > upgrade.
>
> So, you're using Canonical's free OS and are upset when they plug
> their remote monitoring service when you log in remotely?  Well, I
> guess you're free to modify motd, aren't you?  I recommend installing
> fortune or fortune-homer ;)

I suggest you read "man motd" on any Unix system to learn what this
file is good for.  I happen to run Ubuntu, pure Debian, OpenBSD, Irix
and Ultrix, all of them agree in the essentials.

Regards
  Siggy
--
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org+
|37 days until|bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de|