Internet Connection with Ubuntu 8.10 on Mac Pro

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 02:01:53 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Minty Busby<serendipity.g3a at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu 8.10 (tried 32-bit and 64-bit with the same results)
> DVD-Rom that I used to install directly on my Mac Pro (4,1) 2.66 GHz
> Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 3gb ram, 256k L2 cache per core, 8mb L3 cache, I'm
> probably giving you tmi.
>
> Anyway, I can't connect to the internet.  The network icon by the clock
> seems to indicate that the cable is unplugged, though it is not.  I think it
> is a driver issue.

Doesn't a Mac Pro have an empty PCI slot? Borrow an ethernet card from
where ever long enough to install.  Note I can't say that Jaunty will
work - I don't know, but if Jaunty is the fix, then a borrowed card
would get you out of trouble.

Doesn't the Mac Pro come with wireless?  Set your other Mac up as a
wireless base station and chain the Mac Pro off of it long enough to
upgrade to Jaunty.

Or, even easier, assuming it's Intel not PPC, upgrade your older Mac
to Jaunty, then duplicate that harddrive on to the harddrive for your
Mac Pro.

Some ideas,
Brian
--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false