sharing an ipp printer with a mac client

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 15:52:29 UTC 2009

>> Have you tried adding the printer through 127.0.0.1:631?
> as expected it doesn't work. printer is not connected to localhost

I meant on the Mac which you have done given your answer below.

>> You will have to change the SystemGroup stanza in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>> (for example to the first-created admin user) in order  to make
>> changes through the CUPS web interface.
> I can make changes on cups server running on the mac (1.3.something)
> with the web interface.
> I tried adding the printer with the web gui. It works but I can't
> choose the hpijs driver. Only choice is gutenprint. I also tried
> connecting the printer directly to the mac then copying the ppd file
> and using that with the remote printer profile but no way. It doesn't
> work.

The cups web interface allows you to go through the changes but then
prompts you for authentification once you are done and, if you haven't
changed the SystemGroup stanza (which Apple sets recursively to
@SYSTEM!), you will have wasted your time. Been there. :(

When I wrote my first reply, I was hoping that you would be able to
create the printer through the cups web interface, restart cups with
launchctl, and edit the printer in the System Preferences GUI. A long
shot but worth a try. I wish that I still had a Mac or were currently
working at a place with Macs so that I could mess around to figure
this out. Sorry.

You might also have to create/edit one or more printing plist(s)
before editing the printer in the System Preferences GUI. As I say
above. A long shot...

> Really hating apple right now...

LOL. It is _almost_ hard to believe that it is this difficult.