touchpad problem

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 8 13:54:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:46:45 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> NoOp wrote:
>>>>

>>> As of 2009-07-27 none of thr R50 series is compatible with ubuntu:
>>>
>>> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?
sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-48NT8D&velxr-layout=printLenovo

>> I don't see that it should be an issue (if the hardware is working
>> properly):
>> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:R50p
>> <http://www.evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=51992&cpc=RECOM> [IBM
>> ThinkPad R50 Pentium M 1.5GHz 512MB 40GB CDRW/DVD 15" Ubuntu Linux]
>> <http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ubuntu+%
2BThinkPad+R50p>
>> https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ThinkPad+R50p
>>

> 	My old Thinkpad is a model 365XD laptop which I got used in 2000.
I am
> not able to figure out how to set BIOS so it boots on the CD. I think it
> is way too old for Linux.
>
> 73 Karl

I have never found a laptop too old for Linux. Several years ago (about
10) I installed Linux on some laptops that their users then found too old
and had replaced by new ones. This were some old Toshiba's, 486/25 I
think, 4 MB of ram 80 MB hard-disk. I installed them dual boot (DOS and
Linux). No (X-)Windows off course. I had to "create" my own
"distribution" for that and bake my own minimal kernel, but then,
installing from floppy's and through a serial connection was easy. These
laptop have been used to monitor some electronic device in homes and did
their job, running a Perl programm, perfectly for many years.

Aart