how to enable sound in ubuntu

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 07:49:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 01:26 +0600, Delwar Hossain Arif wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using UBUNTU in HP laptop with a duel boot along side Windows XP. I
> have installed most of the player for sound and video. Now , video is
> all right but there is no sound. the sound is not working. i have tried
> a lot but no result, please help me.

Ave you check to see if your sound is muted? Check the volume controller
in the panel, and if that shows that everything is maxed, go to a
terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type in
"alsamixer" [hit return]

This should come up with a greyish screen with colored bars. the bars
indicate sound levels, and there's symbold at the bottom of the bar to
tell whether or not the channel is muted. 00 means active, MM means
muted. hit M to mute/unmute, up/down arrows to increase/decrease volume,
left/right arrows to scroll over the channels, and Sec to quit. If that
fixes your sound problem, run "alsactl store" before you close the
terminal window. that saves any changes you made in alsamixer

hope that helps!

--
Andrew