Why Are "Identical" Systems Different?

John Graddy jwgraddy at valornet.com
Sat Sep 5 18:26:56 UTC 2009

I have two systems running Ubuntu 9.04.  Both are updated to the same
level using Update Manager.  The latest Kernel on both systems is
2.6.28-15.I have attempted to keep the hardware configurations as close
as I can, given that they have different AMD processors and different
motherboards.  I have assumed (possibly wrongly) that if I kept the
hardware close to the same, the software would remain close to the same.
The biggest hardware difference is that one motherboard has a built-in
LAN connection and the other HAD a LAN interface add-on card that has
been removed.

I have recently added wireless networking (Linksys router and interface
cards) which is working well.  However, I can't get an automatic
connection to the wireless network.  In researching this problem, I came
across a forum thread (Don't remember the forum) that suggested going to
System->Admin->Network and use the GUI interface to set up the automatic
network connection.

When I tried this, I found that one system (the one without the built in
LAN interface) had a System->Admin->Network entry and the other system
does not have such an entry.

I have two questions.  One is why do I have different System->Admin
menus and the second is how do I get an automatic wireless network
connection.

I assume that the answers to both questions are simple an that I simply
lack the knowledge to know tham.

Thanks,
John