virtualbox wont show USB ports in the guest OS

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 5 17:49:56 UTC 2009

On 09/05/2009 02:51 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> I hope that you mean the virtualbox repositories (shown here):
>> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
>> as the version in the Ubuntu repository:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/virtualbox-ose
>> is the OSE and does not include USB support. Only the PEUL version from
>> the virtualbox site and/or virtualbox repositories provide USB support.
>>

> Well, Gary,
> Of course I know that and I don't know which repository it comes from
> but it is virtualbox-3.0  version 3.04-50677_jaunty_ubuntu which I found
> in synaptic and it is the SUN version (as my results show.
> Mybe you can tell me how to find the repository as it is apparently in
> my software sources.
> Anyway it works. Only some small problem with usbfs remains.
> Joep

That's the correct one:
$ apt-cache policy virtualbox-3.0
virtualbox-3.0:
  Installed: 3.0.4-50677_Ubuntu_jaunty
  Candidate: 3.0.4-50677_Ubuntu_jaunty
  Version table:
 *** 3.0.4-50677_Ubuntu_jaunty 0
        500 http://download.virtualbox.org jaunty/non-free Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Aparently you've already added the virtualbox repository to your sources:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jaunty non-free

Regarding usbfs; it is no longer needed on jaunty. There are apprently
still some issues on Suse:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3394
But even in that report you'll see the reporter state:
<quote>
2009-07-30 16:15:01 changed by stefan.becker  ΒΆ

Problem still exists with Suse 11.1 / 64.

On my other host (Ubuntu 9.04 / 64) it works as expected without USBFS.
</quote>

You can have a look through these to see if you can spot one more
relevant to your problem:
http://www.virtualbox.org/search?q=USBFS&noquickjump=1&ticket=on