Open Office 3.1 is slow on my Jaunty 64 bit, but not on 32 bit

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 4 08:09:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 09:56 +0800, The Eye In The Sky wrote:
[snip]
> The problem I have is that on the Jaunty 64 bit, the OpenOffice is not
> working smoothly. Every time I open a document in Writer which has many
> formatting, custom fields, pictures and tables (~30 pages, 700KB), the
> screen crawl.
> Let's say I drag the slider to jump from page 1 to page 10, the page
> movement is not smooth, but jumpy and sometimes the whole screen will be
> darkened during transition (I think this is a feature from Gnome telling
> the system is unresponsive).
> Or if I scroll my mousewheel, the movement of the screen is late so I
> ends up waiting the screen to scroll into the page I want, although I
> already release the mousewheel.

I've had a similar issue with OpenOffice.org on 64-bit...though mine
does it with plain text docs occasionally as well. I haven't yet found a
full resolution, but one thing you could try is increasing
OpenOffice.org's memory allocation.

When in OpenOffice, go to "Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Memory"
and just ramp the allocated memory as high as you can go. I think the
max is only 256mb, but thats better than the default 128 :)

Hope that helps.

--
Andrew