VLC problem with autoplay

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 3 20:59:34 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 19:53 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> 2009/9/2 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com>:
>> > [snip]
>>
>> > You could always try making a 'custom command' that would redirect all
>> > the output from VLC to a file that you can read later. To accomplish
>> > this, go (from Nautilus) to the "Edit > Preferences | Media" tab, then
>> > for the audio CD, click the drop-down, and select "Open with other
>> > application..." then on the bottom there, use the "Custom Command" and
>> > enter this:
>> >    vlc &> vlc_output.txt
>>
>> That sounds like an excellent idea I thought so I tried it, though I
>> specified a full path for the output just in case.  It worked fine
>> when I ran it from a terminal but when it is run from the 'What do
>> want to run this CD with' window then no log file is generated, even
>> the first time when vlc works correctly.  Does the redirection only
>> work from a terminal?
>>
>> Colin
> [snip]
>
> I think it should work whether you're in a terminal or not.
>
> Just to be sure, you could force it to run from a terminal by doing
> something like this:
>    gnome-terminal -e "vlc &> vlc_output.txt"

I tried that but I need to get the drive parameter through and could
not get that to work.  I think I have spent enough time on this (and
enough of your time) and will move on.  I can live with it as it is
for the moment.  I will be ugrading to Karmic when it is released so
there may well be some fixes either there or in VLC.  Thanks for the
help anyway, it has not been a waste of time as I have learned some
very useful stuff.

Thanks again

Colin