Vista kills Ubuntu wireless

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 3 00:29:18 UTC 2009

On 09/02/2009 04:27 PM, Young wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Sorry to the list for not trimming in this instance.
>>
>> Young,
>>
>> What that all shows is that your wireless *is* working otherwise you
>> wouldn't be able to scan all of those networks around you. Is
>> 'ESSID:"SqwatTall"' your wireless network?
>>
> Yes, and I think you're correct.
>> You need to go to Network Manager & set up wlan0. Sorry, I use wicd, so
>> someone else will have to help you configure in NM.
>>

> Time for some more googling.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager0.7

If you'd prefer to give wicd a try (it will uninstall NM, but given that
you have a wired connection as well you'll be OK):

1. Download  wicd_1.6.2-2_all.deb from here:
http://apt.wicd.net/pool/extras/w/wicd/ (note: don't use
wicd_1.6.2.2-1_all.deb - it currently has issue discovering networks).

2. Install wpasupplicant:

$ sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

(this is necessary as you are using WPA2 - good choice BTW)

3. Open Nautilus (Places) and go to where you downloaded
wicd_1.6.2-2_all.deb, double-click the file and install. Reboot.

4. Click on the wicd network manager icon. Select the 'Properties'
button for your network (SqwatTall). If you do not wish to use static
IP's, then only click on 'Use Encryption' and select 'WAP 1/2'
(Passphrase or Preshared key - whichever is appropriate), entery your
key (you can click on the 'key' box to see it in plain text if
necessary), click OK, click the 'Connect' button.

If that works for you, then I'll show you how to enable the wicd
repository so that you can get standard updates. If it does not, then
from the wired connection:

$ sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome

and it will uninstall wicd & reinstall Network Manager. You may have to
reboot following the reinstall.

Gary