Vista kills Ubuntu wireless

Kenneth Loafman kenneth at loafman.com
Wed Sep 2 21:06:23 UTC 2009

Young wrote:
> But, if it's a driver issue, why would the LiveCD work before Vista was
> activated?

It's not a driver issue, assuming it really did work the first time,
right out of the box, with a Live CD (disclaimer).  If that's the case
then Windows had to have set something in the device, possibly even a
firmware upgrade(?), and now Linux won't talk to the device.  You would
have to disassemble the Windows driver to see what it did during setup.
 If they did indeed upgrade the firmware, no amount of power cycling
would help.

Windows makes the asinine (malicious?) assumption that it's the only
thing on the system.  Given the number of firmware upgradeable devices,
I'm surprised that Microsoft is just now getting into the game of nuke
the competition by making the system unusable by anyone else.  I could
be wrong about that, but given MS history, it does make one think.

Back to the problem... try another Live CD, Redhat, Opensuse, somo other
non-debian distribution and see if that works.  It's possible another
distro may have a different driver.

...Ken