NEW Problem WITH UBUNTU STARTUP

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 03:47:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 08:35 +0530, ashwin1711 wrote:
> during to install libsynaptics0 gsynaptics, the root black screen givs
> error msg and says 'Reading package lists...Done
> Building dependency tree Reading state information...Done
> The following New packages will be installed: gsynaptics libsynaptics0
> 0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded.Need to
> get 87.8kB of archives.After this operation, 590kB of additional disk
> space will be used.
> Err http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty/universe gsynaptics 0.9.14-8
> could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
> Failed to fetch
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gsynaptics/gsynaptics_0.9.14-8_i386.deb
> could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
> Failed to fetch
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/libs/libsynaptics/libsynaptics0_0.14.6c-2_i386.deb
> could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com'
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
> --fix-mis sing?'
> so now what should i do? please help me

Were you trying to install this after logging into a tty terminal (i.e.
hitting ctrl+alt+f1 at the login screen)? If not, then where from?

First, I'd say try running a "sudo apt-get update" as the message
recommended.

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like you don't have internet
access. If you're on wireless, try connecting via a hard line, and try
the "sudo apt-get update" again. If that doesn't work, or you don't have
a hardline, or you were on hardline, try putting an ubuntu CD in (after
booting), then run the following in the given order:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libsynaptics0 gsynaptics

Those packages should be on the install CD, as they are essentials for
most laptops.

Let me know how that goes!

--
Andrew