Hate SATA hard drives

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 2 02:18:08 UTC 2009

----- Original Message ----

You know Karl. I know Karl.  Everyone knows Karl.  But my point is that
the best way to minimize the noise, bantering and insults on this list is
to just not comment on Karl's posts unless following it would truly result
in disastrous results for the OP.  In most cases that is not the case but if
you put him down on most every post, etc, etc, etc., he is going to come
back with even more insulting comments and I would do the same if
people treated me the same and so would you and the others.  So, better
to just bite our tongue and say nothing unless his reply would be truly
harmful.  Besides, it's a good learning experience if someone tries a
suggestion that is not harmful.  He will learn.  And most everyone knows
even the novice, that you don't format the hard drive if you don't like the OS.
Maybe format the partition in question but not the whole drive.  I think most
novices have more intelligence  than you give them credit for and have a fair
idea of what you can or can't do to a computer, HDD,  CDROMD and if they
don't know how to format, make partitions and install from a CD then they
should learn and start by installing gparted, fdisk, etc. and reading up on it.
You can't hurt hardware with software but you can mess up an OS and even
though that is a real PITA, it's a good learning experience.  I did that a time
or two in my early experience with Debian and just reformmated and reinstalled.
If that hasn't happened to you then you really don't use a computer.
I also know that some people's comments about Karl are not helpful and are just
vindictive because they are not very tolerant of him and his posting style.  Karl
does want to help most of the time but does take exception to some posting styles.
I'm ranting on but my main point is that there would be a lot less noise and bickering
on this list if everyone would just read and ignore his replies unless absolutely
necessary to prevent serious harm which is not the case most of the time.
BTW, I do agree that everyone should put a little research ane experience into
their replies and reread it before sending.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net