NEW Problem WITH UBUNTU STARTUP

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 02:06:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-02 at 07:06 +0530, ashwin1711 wrote:
> Dear friend,as i told that i m using ibm laptop R50p without external
> mouse so there is no point to plug and unplug.stil proble not solve.

sorry, I misunderstood. If it's build in to the laptop, you should refer
to it as a "touchpad" instead of a "mouse". then people will know
exactly what you're talking about, and you wouldnt have to waste time
posting/reposting because people don't understand what you're referring
to.

Have you installed synaptics touch-pad drivers?
    sudo apt-get install libsynaptics0 gsynaptics
I believe thats all you'd need for mouse.

As for the CD drive, I'm not sure how it's not working, unless it's
faulty (which is doubtful, since you obviously got a working ubuntu
install from it). Have you tried putting a liveCD in the drive, and
rebooting to see if the drive sees the LiveCD? if it does, then your
drive isn't faulty and there might be some sort of detection issue... if
it doesnt work, check your BIOS settings (i.e. make sure the CD drive is
set as the firts boot device, or use a boot-choice menu that some
laptops offer by hitting F10, or F12). If you check that everything is
in order, and the CD drive still won't launch the liveCD, then the drive
itself could have gone bad.  Keep in mind that there could be other
problems, but these are just the things that come to mind right now.

Hope that helps :)