VLC problem with autoplay

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 08:42:05 UTC 2009

2009/8/31 Andrew Farris <flyindragon1 at aol.com>:
> On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 22:33 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I installed VLC Media Player 0.9.4 on Intrepid and it seemed to be
>> working well.  When I plug in a CD it comes up with a dialog asking
>> which player to use, I select VLC and all is well.  At least it was
>> until I also selected Always use this app (or words to that effect).
>> Now it autoplays the first time I plug in a CD but if I remove it,
>> shutting down VLC, then the next time I insert a CD VLC appears as a
>> process in System Monitor but does nothing.  If I remove the CD and
>> re-insert then another instance of VLC appears but still does nothing.
>>
>> To add insult to injury I cannot work out how to disable autoplay.
>> Googling leads to suggestions that I use System, Preferences,
>> Removable drives and Media but I do not seem to have this, nor can I
>> find similar settings on another applet.
>>
>> Any help on either of these issues would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Removable drives and Media is not the tool to accomplish this, though it
> should be present under the mentioned menu unless you hid/removed it.
> FYI, to launch the tool directly, hit alt+f2 (or go to a terminal) and
> type in
>    gnome-volume-properties

This gives 'gnome-volume-properties is currently not installed' both
in Intrepid and in Jaunty (both standard installs). I am sure I have
not removed it.

> However the settings you are ACTUALLY searching for is in Nautilus'
> preferences. Open up a Nautilus (file browser) window, and go to "Edit >
> Preferences | Media tab"
>
> That's where you set up your autorun preferences.
>
> Home that helps!

It certainly did, I have disabled the auto play, many thanks.  Strange
that google did not lead me there.  To me it is not the obvious place
to look for autoplay, it seems more to do with system setup than the
file browser, though I realise that under the hood it may be nautilus
that is doing the job.

This has now allowed me to get more information on the fundamental
problem of VLC hanging on startup.  If I boot up and insert an audio
CD I now get the dialog asking me what I want to do.  I select VLC and
it plays happily.  I close VLC and remove the CD (the VLC process
disappears from system monitor).  I re-insert the CD, get the dialog
asking me what to do, select VLC, a VLC process starts up but then
hangs with no UI.

Any ideas anyone?

Presumably somewhere the command to run when I select VLC from that
dialog is defined, I looked in gconf but could not find it.  I thought
if made it run in a terminal I might get some info.

Colin