SERIOUS warning,or SERIOUS bug? "Imminent disk failure!".Ubuntu9.10.

Luis Maceira luis_a_maceira at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 18:29:30 UTC 2009

Yesterday on Ubuntu 9.10(completely updated) suddenly I received the warning:"Imminent disk failure!",it seems was gdu-notifier(or so) that generated the warning.Unfortunately smartmontools does not do an effective test on this disk Iomega Prestige mobile(not on smartmontools database etc.).so running Solaris,Ubuntu9.04,from the same HDD I do not receive any warning and now any time I run Ubuntu9.10 there is that warning.The HDD has 1 month and Iomega drives seem to be quite reliable,so probably this is a bug.Besides smartmontools,are there other ways to test the disk?(since I do not have installed Windows or Mac the Iomega tools are useless to me).