Linux: Silly hobby (Was: 9.10 UNR with AT&T 3G (was: PROBLEM SOLVED (was: THIS SUCKS! 3G problems)))

art artmartz at triad.rr.com
Sat Oct 31 23:41:34 UTC 2009

slowertraffickeepright at mail.com wrote:
>     Art, all... is it really a wine(whine) to expect Ubuntu *NETBOOK*
> Remix to work with my OEM *NETBOOK*? Hardware I'm using is BUILT into
> this NETBOOK.
Actually, I'd say Yes. There is such a variety of hardware sourced into
different manufacturers equipment, it's impossible to keep up with it
all. You think Microsoft does? Ha! If the video or wifi or sound card
manufacturers weren't writing the software for Microsoft, half of what's
out there wouldn't work. Trying doing a generic XP install instead of an
OEM install, and you'll find out quickly enough how much doesn't work,
just like the 3g stuff isn't working out of the box now. It would take
Qualcomm delivering a driver to Ubuntu to match what you get with an OEM
Microsoft install.

  Also I did all the research about this issue before sans
> whining... I'm having to do it ALL OVER AGAIN after "updating" (booting
> XP & loading the firmware then booting into UNR is not working in 9.10
> for me now).
Now *that's* useful info to know, and makes me even slower to upgrade.
Sorry you had to be the one to find out!

  Art, you helped me get this going with a work around. I let
> it go at that since the next edition of UNR surely would fix this, 3G,
> being the 3rd generation... this technology has been around some time
> now. Come to find out there is still no 3G support for my OEM NETBOOK
> with Ubuntu NETBOOK Remix.
Give it some time, I'll bet somebody will figure it out.

>I guess all the times I said "thank you" & "I appreciate" wasn't good enough?
It was good enough (and appreciated) to help were I can. It wasn't good
enough to listen to the "whines" about Linux vs Microsoft. Although now
that I know you lost your 3g going to 9.10, I understand it better.
Reminds me of the complaining I heard from people upgrading from XP to
Vista.

> It's laughable to think Linux is going to actually catch on if
> this is everyone's position: "You paid nothing". YOU'RE MAKING THE POINT
> FOR PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE!
Actually, I think I'm making the point for paid support, not proprietary
software. And I believe Ubuntu offers such support now. Maybe you should
investigate it. When I see people making 3g work with 9.10, and get it
working myself, then I'll be glad to share how, if nobody else already has.

> as we speak... internet connections have to WORK, or I can't do my own
> research properly.
Speaking of doing research properly, what did you do before you upgraded
to be reasonably comfortable that 3g would work on 9.10. Or did you just
shove the CD in and upgrade away, assuming it would work? And I don't
want any Linux vs. Microsoft here, because the same thing happened
between XP and Vista, and is going on now with W7. Did you do a live
boot with 9.10 and see what would happen? I did, and when I didn't see
3g automatically show up, I decided that was as far as I was going until
I knew what it would take to make it work. And I'm still asking
questions, of anybody with experience willing to take the time to
answer. At least the wifi worked off the live boot. That wasn't always
the case.
Art