Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Sat Oct 31 19:34:43 UTC 2009

Chris G wrote:
> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover.

Hello Chris,

Others have suggested various options like pfsense and ebox and you've
rejected them because they would more or less take over your machine.
Based on my experience, I'd recommend that you separate the
routing/firewalling from the server not because the server can't handle
it but because quite often, you have different upgrade cycles on those
things. If you don't want two physical machines, run the server in a
virtual machine and let the physical machine, or another virtual
machine, act as the router/firewall. Complex networking like you have in
mind in a virtual machine is probably more challenging but it's not
impossible, depending on the virtualization technology you employ.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis