Fwd: question about mailing lists license ,

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Oct 31 06:46:50 UTC 2009

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> The writer of the post owns the copyright, he does not give that away
> unless it is a registered copyright then he can sell it or give it
> away.

That may be true in your jurisdiction but it I think it isn't true over
here (at least as far as I understand our copyright laws). Here you
automatically own the copyright and you can't sell it. You can only give
a licence to others. Even an exclusive licence is possible but you still
own the copyright.

These minor differences in the copyright laws make it impossible to give
any useful advice what is allowed and what not. Only your lawyer can
tell you what you are allowed to copy in your jurisdiction. And only a
lawyer can tell you what you are allowed to copy to a book which is
supposed to be sold globally.

BTW: At least over here only lawyers have a monopoly for giving legal
advice. And probably they won't give any legal advice on a mailing list
but only if you pay them.

> You will have a
> license from the writer that owns the copyright.  He will always own
> the copyright for his lifetime plus 100 years.

Again a minor difference: Those 100 years may be true in your
jurisdiction but over here it is 70 years.

Nils