question about mailing lists license ,

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 22:28:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Shahnawaz Jamot <stg600 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm intending to migrate to Linux Ubuntu from Windows XP Service Pack 3.
> Here are my System details:
>
> Processor:
> Pentium (R) 4 CPU 1.70 GHz
> (ACPI\GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_1\_0

No problem there, that can run Ubuntu fairly well and Xubuntu really
fast.  I have a similar class processor, an Athlon XP 2000+ that runs
at 1.2GHz and runs just fine.

> 512 MB of RAM

Recommendation, increase that to 1GB and you're all set.  Xubuntu will
run comfortably in amount of RAM but you might want to give yourself
more leg-room with Ubuntu.

> Network Adapter:
> Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection

Linux has supported Intel network cards for years.  This one should
work without a problem.

> Onboard audio:
> Integrated PCI AC'97
> ADI 1981A CODEC
> SoundMAX 3.0 with SPX

There are very few soundcards that I haven't seen Linux support.
Since its an integrated card I'd say you don't have much of a problem.
 If you do run into an issue you can get a PCI port Creative Sound
Blaster Live for really cheap.  Here's some pricing I found...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=sound+blaster+pci&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10970182046584023677&ei=m2HrSvXnBImvlAekgen_BA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=11&ved=0CC4Q8wIwCg#ps-sellers

Chances are you shouldn't have any worries though.

> Webcam
> A4 TECH PC Camera V

This one I'm not sure about.  I looked it up on Google but found no
useful info that might give a clue as to whether it will work or not.
Linux does support many more devices now than ever before, so you have
a chance it might work.

> Display Adapter
> Intel (R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

Shouldn't have an issue, but I don't think it can handle the GLX
acceleration needed for Compiz Fusion's desktop effects (virtual
desktops on a cube, wobbly windows, etc).  You'll need an actual
Nvidia, ATI or Intel GMA (950 or above) graphics card for that.  If
you decide to get an Nvidia card and have a free AGP slot their prices
aren't too bad since their being phased out due to PCIe.

> Disk Drive:
> ST3802110 A   (I guess it's my hard disk, and it's 80 GB)

Got the same drive.  No problems there.

> DVD/CD-ROM:
> SONY CD-RW CRX320EE

No problems there either.

> Printer:
> HP PSC 1402

Ubuntu uses CUPS which supports a crap-load of printers out of the
box.  It even supports my old Konica-Minota laser printer.

> I want to know, if I install Ubuntu, will my all hardware work well and supported by Ubuntu OS?

I'd say with the exception of the webcam you shouldn't have any issues.

> If Ubuntu, won't automatically detect and install drivers for my Network Adapter, I won't be able to connect to internet. So if I have to download drivers from web, can you tell me where to download? so I may download and keep a copy of them in my data traveler USB device.

This shouldn't be an issue, I'm more than reasonably certain that
Ubuntu will definitely support your Network Card.

> Will I be able to use my webcam in the messengers like MSN, Yahoo and Skype with my friends using Windows?

I'm a little less certain about the webcam but you might be surprised.
 I don't know if the IM client used in Karmic supports webcams.
Canonical switch from Pidgin to something, and right when Pidgin was
getting webcam support too.  DOH!

> I have 4 partitions on my Disk, 3 are NTFS and one is FAT32
> Can I just delete the C partition, and create a new one instead of it to use Ubuntu?
> OR should I delete all the partitions? back up all the data of all the partitions? and then create all new partitions for Ubuntu?

OK, first off, Ubuntu supports full read and write for NTFS.  Has done
so for two years now.  FAT32 isn't an issue either.  Unless you plan
to dual-boot your computer with Ubuntu and Windows XP I'd say backup
your data then repartition the whole drive for Ubuntu at the beginning
of the install process.

If you do dual-boot these URLs will be of a great help to you.
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

> And Can I install Ubuntu from a USB data traveler (Kingston) ? Because my CD writer isn't working properly.

OK, yes and no.  Yes, it is possible to run and install Ubuntu from a
USB Flash drive or external hard drive.  There's a utility inside
Ubuntu itself for making bootable USB drives, in fact.  HOWEVER, your
computer MUST support booting from USB in its BIOS.  If you don't have
this you're pretty much S.O.L..  You can order a free Ubuntu CD in the
mail.  It takes about 3-5 weeks to ship to you from the UK.

Order it free at this URL ...

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

If you know someone with a working CD-RW drive download the CD image
file, copy it to your USB flash drive, and have them burn it for you.
If you are in the US or Canada, I THINK, I'm not sure you'll have to
check, but I THINK Kinkos will burn CDs for you.  They do just about
everything else, but I'm not sure if they do or not.

> Thanks in advance for your help.

No problem.  :-)

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney