Good Idea for new users

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 30 13:57:46 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 10/30/09, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Good Idea for new users
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Friday, October 30, 2009, 8:27 AM
>
>     I think that the Karmac 9.10 version of
> Ubuntu should be
> offered with advice to use the ext3 file system and the
> Grub
> version 1 boot.
>
>     I think this because a huge number of
> problems surround the
> new versions of both critical items. A new user does not
> want
> to hear this.
>
> 73 Karl

Why? A fresh install on an ext4 partition has worked for be flawlessly on both grub2 and ext4 fs.  Maybe better advice is to install on a fresh partition and not just upgrade from an older version which has always presented issues for me and is why I now always install on a fresh partition instead of upgrading.  YMMV.
BTW, grub2 did pick up all my other ubuntu partitions and my 2 vista partitions so I can't buy the recommendation.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net