Slower performance with ext4

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 30 13:49:09 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 10/30/09, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Slower performance with ext4
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Friday, October 30, 2009, 8:08 AM
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:21 PM,
> Leonard Chatagnier
> <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> It's not random specualtion:
> >>
> >> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ext4+dataloss+reports&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
> >>
> > Reading the first couple of items shown in your above
> link it does appear to have been fixed in both Jaunty and
> Karmic.  Your comment may not be random speculation but it
> does appear to be outdated.  I'm using Karmic Beta 64 bit
> and have not experienced any data loss, thanks for that.
>
> Actually I forgot to post the link I was really after. The
> release
> notes for 9.10 highlight posible filesystem corruption with
> large
> files (> 512 Mb)...
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/453579

Interesting read.  However, I don't see anything like it on my Karmic 64 bit without any lvm or raid setup just a plain install. I've downloaded and burned the Karmic beta live DVD, a large file, without any issues. Even checked the md5sum, sha1sun and the sha256sum(think that's right) and all checked including the disc verification on boot up.
As I mentioned to Karl in his reply, I find Karmic very fast compared to older versions except for browsing speed but that is another issue entirely, I believe.
Apparently, everyone's case is unique and YMMV.  I do have a gut feeling that some of the issues are hardware related.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net