Slower performance with ext4

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Oct 30 12:16:27 UTC 2009

fyrbrds at netscape.net wrote:

>   >Data loss anyone?<
> What evidence do you have that there would be data loss? ext2 and ext3 were used almost immediately after their release as well. The distro maintainers usually do some basic reliability tests or at least have access to such tests. So I would be happy to read any tests you've seen that suggest ext4 is unreliable. To start scaring people with talk of data loss based on random speculation would not be good.

Dude, I used to work with clusters of mta boxes. The last thing I needed
then was a filesystem that loses data or corrupts its metadata easily. I
wait before using any new fangled filesystem regardless of how uber fast
it is or I play the pull the plug game with them with whatever
journaling mode they have available.

ext4 data loss reports started with Ubuntu Jaunty I think too?