desktop borked

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Thu Oct 29 21:06:47 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 11:00 +0000, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:28:02 +0200, Stuart Murray-Smith wrote:
[snip]
> > User tried to uninstall something, && when restarting, X starts up, but
> > no desktop.
[snip]
> Because of dependency's, when you uninstall something many other things
> might uninstall too. There is a history in /var/log/apt/term.log and
> maybe in other places too. Try to reinstall some of the things that got
> uninstalled.

Another thing you could try, is switching to a TTY terminal (or starting
in recovery mode), trying to reinstall the ubuntu-desktop package
    (i.e. run "sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop").

This seems to be a common package to get pulled out when removing
something else, since its often listed as a dependancy. it's actually
just a meta-package that is supposed to pull in a bunch of other needed
packages, so I believe reinstalling that package would automatically get
any other essential packages that got accidentally removed.

hope that helps

--
Andrew