I download the iso

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:37:53 UTC 2009

Am Do, 29. Oktober 2009 19:04:09 schrieb Avi Greenbury:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 13:56:58 -0400
>
> William Biggs <kc8pdr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to know if I can upgrade to 9.10 from 9.04 after I
> > download the iso with out burning it ?
>
> I don't think you can do the upgrade from the ISO. It's only designed
> for being burnt.
Avi, you are wrong here, I would say!

1. Of course one can do an upgrade from a cd/dvd
   (whatelse than installing/upgrading are cd/dvd medias made for?)

2. and of course one can do an upgrade from an mounted iso image
   (I do so since there is a loop device in the kernel, since ?1997? afaik)

In the following I will describe two cenarios for an upgrade.

The first one is for a cd/dvd media, suitable for a single standalone machine.

The second a bit more complex one is for an upgrade iso-image which will be
offered via an apache web server to a local network.

1st cenario, for a single upgrade of one machine:

- put in the cd so it's mounted
- Open a terminal
- Enter "sudo apt-cdrom add"
- Start synaptic or any packet manager of your choice, or type in a terminal:
   sudo aptitude -u full-upgrade

Youre done!

2nd cenario, for an upgrade of a number of machines in your local network
- you need:
  the iso file,
  a working local network ,
  one machine with apache running who will offer the upgrade to the local net
  and of course at least one machine who will act as client for an upgrade
  (of course the server can act also as client)

2.0 Setup prerequisites:
- You need an apache web server running on the machine which will offer the
  upgrade to your local network.
  A simple "sudo aptitude install apache2" in a terminal will do the job...

2.1 Setup of an upgrade iso image, the "Server Side":

- create a mount point for the iso file:
  In a terminal enter
   sudo mkdir /mnt/loop

- mount the iso file
   sudo mount /home/johndoe/karmic-dvd-i386.iso -o loop /mnt/loop
  where
   "/home/johndoe/" is the directory of your iso file
   and "karmic-dvd-i386.iso" is the name of your iso file
  replace it by the directory and name of your iso file.

  As a test, a
   ls -l /mnt/loop
  should show the content of the iso file

- make a link from /var/www to your /mnt/loop directory:
   sudo ln -s /mnt/loop /mnt/loop/ubuntu

  As a test open firefox or any browser of your choice and go to
   http://192.168.1.123/ubuntu/
  Where 192.168.1.123 is the IP number of this machine,
  replace it by your IP number
  (an "ifconfig" in a terminal will show all network cards and their IP
   numbers)

  You should see a listing of the content of the iso image

(If you don't see the content of the iso image in your browser:
- let apache reload its modules and reinitialise it's data directory
   sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload
)

2.2 Setup of a client machine
- Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list file
   sudo editor /etc/apt/sources.list
  add the folowing line
   deb http://192.168.1.123/ubuntu/ karmic main universe restricted
  where 192.168.1.123 is the IP number of your upgrade server, see above.

2.3 upgrade the client machine
- start an upgrade from a terminal:
   sudo aptitude -u full-upgrade

And voilla, your done...