X-server Bug - Severe

Richard Ibbotson richard.ibbotson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:08:01 UTC 2009

Christopher

> <snip>
>
> > (++) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log", Time: Thu Oct 29
> > 12:27:18 2009
> > (++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe"
> Not sure what to make of this...

Yes <scratches head>

> I do not notice anything out of the ordinary...
> Does your monitor support 1680 x 1050? Is it a CRT or a LCD
>  monitor?

Yes.  It's a Samsung Syncmaster 2243BW flat screen. Works fine with any
version of Linux.  What's confusing me is that I can start the Gnome
desktop by logging in as a user and then by typing in "startx".  This
gets me stright into a GNome 2.28 desktop without a login screen.  KDM
is running.  I've checked it.  /etc/X11/xorg.conf below.  So, I can
remove "nvidia" and put in "nv" and everything starts up fine but no 3D
drivers and no Compiz effects.

/var/log/kdm.log (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible
NVIDIA X driver not found)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Samsung SyncMaster"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 81.0
    VertRefresh     56.0 - 75.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Configured Video Device"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 7100 GS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Configured Video Device"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection