2 computers one usrobotics modem

Paul Tader ptader at linuxscope.com
Thu Oct 29 01:32:34 UTC 2009

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> That's a new world to me Dolan, I just have two separate computers and
>> no existing router, I guess I have to learn a little bit more about this
>> and go out and hunt for a router. Â Thanks, Â John
>>

> If one of the machines has two NICs then you could configure one to
> pass through to the other. Though, to be honest, you are best off with
> a router. That is exactly what they were invented for.

Wonder if this would work...

* System1 dials up and has a NIC connected to the LAN (or a crossover
cable to System2)

* run:  " echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward "
on the System1 to forward all traffic between the NIC and modem.

* Set the default gateway on System2 to the NIC's ip address on System1.

* surf away!

I'm probably missing something.  Hmm, gotta try this myself... now,
where is that modem...

-ptader