turning a desktop install into a server

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Oct 28 01:29:33 UTC 2009

J Bickhard wrote:
> Most of the BIOSes that I've seen won't power the computer on past
> POST without a working keyboard plugged in (keyboard error, press F1
> to continue).
> Could rip the circuit board out of an old keyboard and just leave that
> connected so that the BIOS "sees" a real keyboard.
>
> Jake (dats me)

All BIOS' I've ever seen (and I swear by now, that has  to be damn near
all of them) have a configurable option to turn off Halt  on Error,
exactly for this reason.

Also, on ATX systems, look for a "AC ON" option, and set that to either
Power On, or Last State.  That will allow the pc to turn itself back on
after a power failure.