turning a desktop install into a server

Joshua Solomin jsolomin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 00:35:16 UTC 2009

Right, I have ssh server installed, and turned on remote access, and
am running a samba fileshare.  So I can successfully SSH to/VNC
to/access files on the Ubuntu server.  BUT: I can seemingly only do
this after I've actually logged into the Ubuntu box locally, which is
a problem if I want the box sitting in a corner with no display or
keyboard/mouse.  So, the question is how I can get the remote access
to be available immediately after flipping on the power on the Ubuntu
box, without needing to log in locally first.

thanks,
Joshua